Founded in 1917, the Allen Memorial Art Museum (AMAM) has outstanding holdings of nearly 15,000 works of art that provide a comprehensive overview of the history of art. The 2010-2011 building renovation and endowment effort ensured that the museum will continue to provide deep educational and aesthetic experiences for Oberlin College faculty and students and the public. It also allowed us to preserve our historic building and improve the way we care for and provide access to our art collections. The renovation project was completed in May 2011. The summer of 2011 was spent reinstalling the museum's permanent collection into the galleries, and the 1917 Cass Gilbert building reopened on the first day of the fall semester, September 6, with the Ellen Johnson Gallery reopening in October 2011 - marking the first time all museum galleries have been open to the public since 2008.
With your support, we can ensure the continued excellence of the Allen Memorial Art Museum. For more information or to make a gift, please contact the AMAM Office of the Director at (440) 775-8665, or Mike Nolan in Oberlin College's Office of Development - mike.nolan[at]oberlin.edu; 440-775-8545)
Renovation Overview, 2010-2011
Since 2005, museum staff worked to plan for the replacement of the AMAM’s 30-year-old mechanical system with a new one that will meet the museum’s complex climate control requirements. Our partners in this effort were Samuel Anderson Architects (SAA) of New York City and McClure Engineering of St. Louis.
For more information on the museum’s building renovation and schedule, see the Building Renovation Schedule.
To listen to podcasts on the renovation project, click here. Renovation videos are available here.
Hazel B. King Sculpture Court: Clerestory and Ceiling
Samuel Yellin Ironwork
Other Endowed Funds
Charles P. Parkhurst Art Conservation Fund