Hachimaki/Shibori Lesson Plan
2. Lesson Materials
Lesson Plan (PDF 136KB)
Materials for Studio Activity
- (1) One 90cm strip of white cotton fabric with rolled edge hem*
- (1) One 2 foot long section of 1.5 to 2" wide PVC piping**
- Various colors RIT dye
- Waste buckets or containers at least 1 foot deep and no wider than 1.5'
- Paper towels
- Drop cloth
- Masking tape
- Clothesline or heavy rope/twine
- Clothespins or clips
- Nylon, twine, or heavy yarn
- Aprons or art smocks
- Latex (or vinyl gloves for those students who have a latex allergy)
- Hot water
- Mixing cups (heavy plastic cups)
- Access to sink
* Cotton can be purchased in bulk off 30 or 60" bolts and cut into 3" strips. Edges can be stitched into rolled-edge hems along the lengths of the fabric strips. One and one-half (1.5 yd) yard of 30" fabric will create approximately 9 hachimaki (allowing for error).
** PVC piping can be purchased and cut at local hardware stores. One full length pipe usually comes ten feet long, and can be cut down into (5) five sections. Alternatives to using piping can be used and include items such as cylindrical bottles, plastic tubing, etc.
Continue to: 3. Strategies & Procedures