Saul R. Gilford (1919-1979)
Bayer Diagnostics Corporation, formed from the evolution of Gilford Instrument Laboratories, Ciba Corning Diagnostics and Chiron Diagnostics, located in Oberlin, Ohio, was a leading manufacturer of analytical laboratory equipment for both the medical and the scientific communities. After forty years in operation, Bayer Diagnostics closed its doors at the Oberlin, Ohio operation in 2001.
Featured in this exhibit is a Gilford Automatic Dispenser that was used with the Micro-Chemical Analyzer and the Stasar III Spectrophotometer. The device is used to control the quantity, speed and duration at which the liquid is dispensed. These three pieces worked together to analyze fluids, such as blood, in a hospital or laboratory setting.