This three story Victorian brick structure marked the turning point for Oberlin commercial development. From this point on all commercial structures were masonry. The business communities' commitment to this intersection, the central intersection of downtown Oberlin, was demonstrated both in what they built and how quickly they built it. The building opened for business in late 1882 and early 1883.
It was designed by Cleveland architect, Walter Blythe, in the post-fire Chicago style and while its storefront has been altered, it retains its cast iron storefront piers labeled "Union Foundry Co., Cleved, O."
While the businesses in the building have changed, the corner has been principal business location since its construction and a bank since 1904.