Exactly what was destroyed and what was damaged by the fire is unclear, but when we look at this aerial photo we can get an idea of what happened on this lot. The rear section is the oldest, possibly part of a brick structure that was damaged but not destroyed. John D. Carpenter built a new building out to the front of the lot in 1886. The middle one-story section was built sometime after 1886 and may have been the post-fire new brick home of the Burnetts.
Businesses located in the new building included tailors, a shoe manufacture and repair shop , meat market and dry goods businesses. Then in 1906 People’s Banking Co. bought the property, and in 1916 they extensively remodeled it. People’s Bank built the southern addition to provide separate access to the upper floor and took out the wall between the front and middle section to provide a new office for the bank director.