Now we turn our attention to Oberlin’s 20th century buildings, which are scattered through all parts of the downtown.

This 1902 structure is Oberlin’s first 20th century building. The 1886 fire destroyed the first building here. After that fire, Mr. Wynn, built a new frame structure here, that building was destroyed in a fire in 1898. Mr. Wynn built again, but from then on he practiced his barber trade in Elyria, leasing the space to others. Mr. Wynn died in 1900 and his building was destroyed in a 1902 fire. Mr. Rowland then erected this two-story brick building with rustic vertical wood siding. After the last barber left the building it became the location of Marie DeFrance’s millinery, and from 1933 until the late 1950s it was Minute Lunch.


This 1903 building was constructed after two fires destroyed earlier buildings. The first was the Oberlin Barn, moved here from behind the Oberlin Hall. The barn was destroyed in the fire of 1886 and a new two-story frame structure was destroyed in the fire of 1902. This building had meat markets in the south and a harness and shoe repair in the north until 1932 when it was combined into one storefront.