C. Bailey Postcard Collection
The 1868 Oberlin Inn was the site of the first business in Oberlin, a lodging facility that opened on this site in 1834. Known as Brewster’s Log Cabin, it was a two-story frame building destroyed by fire in 1866. This new hotel opened for business in 1868. In 1895 Marx Straus donated the property and hotel to Oberlin College. The hotel had varying names such as Park Hotel and Palmer House.
It was renamed the Oberlin Inn after its second remodel in 1927, and demolished in 1955 to build our new Oberlin Inn.