This 1865 building is Oberlin’s second John D. Carpenter structure. From 1869 to 1886 it was Oberlin’s Post Office, then a grocery, the Oberlin Pharmacy from 1902–1910; it continued as a drug store with varying proprietors until the 1950s. The second floor of this building has housed the Oberlin Business College, various attorney and real estate offices, and a free kindergarten. The third floor appears to be an addition, but we know that the third floor was in continuous use for more than 100 years. If the third story is newer it is probably a complete repair as a result of a fire or some other damage.