The Oberlin in Italy Program
Summer Study of Italian Language and Culture
Immerse yourself in the language and culture of the picturesque Renaissance town of Urbania, Italy. Nestled in the foothills of the Marches region of NE Italy, Urbania is a wonderful place to learn and develop language and musical skills. Swimming, horseback riding, bicycling, and hiking are available to all students. Busses run daily to the coastal resort town, Pesaro(Rossini's birth place). The program is offered annually during the month of June(departure may be as early as May 30th with return as late as July 8th, depending on the yearly calendar changes).
- Intensive Italian at 6 different levels(17 hours per week)
- Guided conversation(4 hours per week)
- Cultural Courses in History of Italian Opera, History of Italy, Italian Art History, History of Italian Literature(broken down into various historical periods), etc.
- Practical Culture: Includes a choice of Musical Coaching with Maestro Carlo Morganti, Drawing, Painting, Ceramics, Assisi Needlepoint, Italian Cooking, Voice or Instrumental Lessons.
Projected Price: $2500--includes:
- Round-trip transportation NY Kennedy to Italy(normally the group flys to Milano and returns from Rome)
- Transportation to and from cities of entry and departure
- Hotel in the cities of entry and departure
- Tuition and language texts at Centro Studi Italiani in Urbania
- Room and Board(Half pension: breakfast and dinner) with an Italian Family(note that those wishing to stay in apartments will receive back the difference between the cost of the lodging with a family and their particular apartment. The cheapest option is to share a room in a shared apartment)
- Deposit of $750 due February 15th; remainder due April 1st
Contact: Daune Mahy, Oberlin Conservatory of Music, Oberlin, Ohio 44074
- Credit: 5 Oberlin College or Conservatory Credits
- Excursions: Half-day on Wednesdays, full day on Sundays. The school organizes trips to towns such as Assisi, Gubbio, Florence, Arezzo, San Leo, and Ravenna.
216/775-8212 or 216/775-7045(home)
Spend the month of a life-time. Live and eat with an Italian family, study the language and use it daily at home and in town, be nurtured in the language and culture of this fascinating country.
To see other travel possibilities in Italy click here,