About the Science Library
Location & Contact Information
In the Science Center at 119 Woodland and Lorain Streets (Rte. 511)
Adjacent to the Perlik Commons (atrium in the building's center on the ground floor)
Parking : across from the Woodland Street entrance, near the tennis courts.
Service desk: 440-775-8310
Head, Science Library: 440-775-5146
Study Carrels Carrel application [PDF]
Spring semester carrel assignments were made on Friday, Feb. 9. No carrels are unassigned for spring semester.
- 31 carrels available for semester-long reservation, plus one desk
- declared science majors are given first consideration, based on seniority, but all students are welcome to apply
- carrels are numbered; indicate your preference on the carrel application [PDF] (paper copies available at the circulation desk)
- applicants must agree to abide by carrel regulations, printed on the carrel aplication form
- carrels must be cleared at the end of each semester
- students leaving trash or food waste in a carrel are subject to a cleaning fee at any time
- 15 iMacs with chairs for 30 students
- 1 printer
- 1 instructor workstation plus ceiling mounted projector
- white board
Available: anytime the library is open, except when scheduled for instruction sessions
Make a reservation:
- in person at the science library circulation desk;
- by phone 440-775-8310 or
- email email@example.com.
Oberlin.edu users may view the iMac Lab Reservations calendar from your OCMail google calendar login; just search for it in "Other Calendars" (bottom left of the calendar sidebar).
Software and Hardware Maintained by the Center for Information Technology.
Group Study Rooms
Two rooms, accommodating up to 8 people, equipped with:
- large table
- 6 chairs (additional chairs available)
- wired and wireless network access
- projection screen
- whiteboard (markers available at the circulation desk)
One group study room also functions as the drop-in tutoring center for CLEAR Quantitative Skills Center.
Make a reservation: in person, on the reservation form posted at each room; call 440-775-8310; or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Academic groups of 3 or more, or students completing exams, are given preference.
Any Oberlin College affiliated group is welcome. Community groups are also welcome when classes are not in session (academic calendar at Office of Registrar).
More group study rooms are available in Mudd.
The current library opened in August 2001 with the combined collections of the Kettering (Class of 1904) Science Library and Wright (Physics Reading Room), with the addition of selected materials from Main (all items with LC call numbers beginning with Q, QB-QR, S, TD, TN, TP).
- Size of Collection: 110,000 volumes (books and journals combined), including materials in Carnegie storage.
- Primary subjects: astronomy, biochemistry, biology, botany, chemistry, geology, neuroscience, physics, zoology
- Also collected: history and philosophy of science, science education, agriculture, environmental technology, soil science, health and medicine.
- Government documents: U. S. Department of Agriculture, Environmental Protection Agency, Fish and Wildlife Service, Forest Service, Geological Survey, National Institute for Standards and Technology, and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.