Science Library Student Assistant
Open positions are posted @ jobs.oberlin.edu. Please apply at that site.
- Apply for Summer 2018 position - position FILLED
- Apply for Fall 2018 position - all positions FILLED
We employ 19-20 students assistants each semester, with an expectation that students will work the entire academic year if mutually acceptable to supervisors and employee.
Science majors are especially encouraged to apply, and may be trained as reference desk assistants after one semester at the circulation desk. Must be willing to work one 10pm-12midnight shift weekly.
Questions? email firstname.lastname@example.org
Provide careful oversight of the circulation desk and reserve collection, and the library generally; help individuals using the library facility, library equipment, and the collections (both onsite and online).
- Staff the library without supervision evenings and weekends, including opening and closing the library; maintain security of the facility and collection when supervisors are not present.
- Provide basic reference and directional assistance: answer questions regarding access to online resources, OBIS, and other library databases; help users find items on the library shelves; direct patrons to standard sources; refer complex reference questions to science librarian or student reference assistant.
- Maintain library in good order: shelve materials, shelf-read and clean stacks, process new books and journals, dust and vacuum computer equipment and tables, keep current journals in order.
- Miscellaneous duties: photocopier, scanner and printer troubleshooting; assist users in library computer classroom; make photocopies/scan materials for staff/interlibrary loan; retrieve books from stacks for OhioLINK and other users; other office duties as assigned.
- Other duties as necessary to maintain the library in good order and serve all library users effectively, with equal respect for students, faculty, staff and the public.
- A friendly, approachable, service-oriented attitude is essential, as is the ability to work well without direct supervision on evenings and weekends.
- Must be willing to work one 10pm-12midnight shift weekly.
- Must be dependable, with a clear sense of responsibility for fulfilling scheduled work assignments.
- Must be able to follow written and verbal instructions and pay close attention to details.
Number of hours6-8 per week.
Starting WageAcademic year 17/18: $8.30 per hour
Apply online: @ jobs.oberlin.edu
Oberlin College Library actively seeks a diverse student staff.
OBERLIN COLLEGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER