Membership in the OhioLINK consortium entitles Oberlin
faculty, staff, students, and Friends of the Library to request books and some other library materials
(sound recordings, films, microfilm, software) directly from other
libraries through the OhioLINK library catalog. The materials are delivered to the Main
Library and most requested items arrive within 3 business days.
OhioLINK participants also have access to the collections of a number of Ohio public libraries through the OhioLINK-SearchOhio partnership. Policies differ somewhat depending on which library system lends the material. Please don't hesitate to ask us if you have any questions.
For students and Friends of the Library, the OhioLINK loan period for books and microfilm is 3 weeks. An item may be renewed up to 6 times, for 3 weeks each time, as long as the item has not been requested by another borrower. For faculty and staff, the OhioLINK loan period for books and microfilm is 6 weeks. An item may be renewed up to 6 times, for 6 weeks each time, as long as the item has not been requested by another borrower.
The OhioLINK loan period for media materials is 1 week and these materials maybe renewed up to 3 times. Note that not all OhioLINK libraries permit circulation of non-print items, and few circulate all of their non-print and/or media materials.
Borrowers receive an e-mail reminding them of the upcoming due dates of OhioLINK materials.
The SearchOhio loan period for all materials except DVDs is 3 weeks. An item may be renewed up to 3 times, for 3 weeks each time, as long as the item has not been requested by another borrower.
The SearchOhio loan period for DVDs is 1 week. An item may be renewed up to 3 times, for 1week each time, as long as the item has not been requested by another borrower.
Borrowers receive an e-mail reminding them of the upcoming due dates of SearchOhio materials.
Limits on Borrowing
OhioLINK and SearchOhio requesting is blocked if you:
- are not a currently enrolled student or an employee of Oberlin College or a member of the Friends of the Oberlin College Library
- request an item that is AVAILABLE at Oberlin
- request an item that is not eligible for off-campus circulation at any library
- request an item that has no AVAILABLE copies and already has a hold on it for another borrower
- exceed the limit on the number of current items on your record for your user type:
- faculty/staff -- limited to 200 items
- student -- limited to 50 items
- Friends of the Library -- limited to 5 items
- SearchOhio items -- all borrowers are limited to 25 items
Making A Request
- If Oberlin does not own the item, or our copy does not have the status AVAILABLE, you may be able to request the item from another OhioLINK library
- Use the Search OhioLINK button to execute the same search in the OhioLINK catalog
- At any point, you may use the button REQUEST to make your request
Choose Oberlin College as your affiliated institution
If you wish to have the item delivered somewhere other than Oberlin, change the pick-up location. Once you have chosen a delivery location, you cannot change it.
Enter your name and library barcode number (on the back of your OCID) and SUBMIT
- If you wish to see whether copies are available for request, display the full record for a specific entry
- Items with the status AVAILABLE may be requested. Items with the statuses LIBRARY USE ONLY, LOCAL USE ONLY, or LOCAL CIRC ONLY may not.
- Please note that if you have never checked out books at the library, the barcode number printed on your ID many not yet be in our database. Please stop by the circulation desk at any of the college libraries to have us update your records, or e-mail your T-number and barcode number to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are unsuccessful in OhioLINK, you can execute the same search in the SearchOhio catalog using the SearchOhio button. Note that, unlike OhioLINK materials which can be delivered to any OhioLINK library, SearchOhio books can only be delivered to Oberlin.
- Choose “Request this title” to make your request
- Choose Oberlin College as your affiliated institution
- Enter your name and library barcode number (on the back of your OCID) and SUBMIT
- Please note that if you have never checked out books at the library, the barcode number printed on your ID many not yet be in our database. Please stop by the circulation desk at any of the college libraries to have us update your records, or e-mail your T-number and barcode number to email@example.com
For help searching and requesting items, consult a reference librarian.
Tracking Your Requests
You can check on the progress of your OhioLINK and SearchOhio requests by viewing your circulation record in OBIS.
- View My Library Record in OBIS
- Enter your name and library barcode number when prompted
- Select # Requests (holds)
- A status of REQUESTED means that the item has not yet been sent; you may cancel some or all items still having the REQUESTED status by selecting either Cancel All or Cancel Selected Items.
- A status of IN TRANSIT means that the item has been shipped from the lending library
- A status of RECEIVED means that the item has been checked-in at the Main Library; it is either on the hold shelf or is currently being processed for you
- A status of CANCELLED means that no library is currently able to supply this item
If you have questions about specific requests you have made, consult the Interlibrary Loan Supervisor or a circulation desk supervisor.
View My Library Record in OBIS and select " # Items currently checked out".
Choose an item to renew by checking the box in the "Renew" column. We recommend renewing OhioLINK and SearchOhio materials one at at time, rather than selecting multiple items. A problem in the system software can cause renewals to fail when multiplie renewals are attempted.
Select "Renew Selected Items".
Answer Yes when
asked "The following item(s) will be renewed, would you like to proceed?"
The page will update with the following responses:
- If the renewal is approved, a new due date displays. Please note this due date on the OhioLINK bookband.
- If you have already renewed the item the maximum allowable times, TOO MANY RENEWALS displays. This will always be the response for media materials.
- If the item is needed by another borrower, Renewal denied: Item needed at owning library displays. Please return this item promptly when due.
- If the due date is more than 1 week in the future, TOO SOON TO RENEW may display. This protects you from renewing items too soon, and shortening your overall use of the material. Try again closer to the due date.
Fines are $0.50 per day for each item.
Following OhioLINK policy, we bill $125 for the replacement of each OhioLINK item that is more than 30 days overdue. If the item is subsequently returned, the remaining fine is $50/item. Following SearchOhio policy, we bill $25 for each SearchOhio item that is more than 30 days overdue.