Science Library Student Assistant
Open positions are posted @ jobs.oberlin.edu. Please apply at that site.
- Apply for Fall 2020 positions by April 27, 2020
We employ 19-20 students assistants each semester, with an expectation that students will work the entire academic year if mutually acceptable to supervisors and employee.
Science majors are especially encouraged to apply, and may be trained as reference assistants after one semester. Must be willing to work one 10pm-12midnight shift weekly.
Questions? email firstname.lastname@example.org
Staff the service desk and provide oversight of the reserve collection and the library generally; assist individuals using the facility and library equipment, and help others use library collections (both onsite and online).
- Maintain a welcoming presence within the library by conveying a helpful, respectful attitude to every library user.
- Manage the library without supervision evenings and weekends, including opening and closing the library; maintain security of the facility and collection when supervisors are not present.
- Provide essential reference assistance to patrons using the print collection and regarding online resources, OBIS (the library's catalog), and other library databases; direct patrons to standard sources; refer complex reference questions to the head of the science library.
- Maintain library in good order, including processing and shelving new books and journals.
- Miscellaneous duties: respond to interlibrary loan and OhioLINK requests, monitor and respond to routine email messages, contribute to the library's social media accounts, equipment troubleshooting; plan and create displays, promote use of the collection, assist with other collection development and management operations.
- Collaborate with co-workers to provide excellent service to library users at all times, with equal respect for students, faculty, staff and the public.
- A welcoming service-oriented attitude is essential, as is the ability to work well without direct supervision on evenings and weekends.
- Must be willing to work one 10pm-12midnight shift weekly.
- Must be dependable, with a clear sense of responsibility for fulfilling scheduled work assignments.
- Must be able to follow written and verbal instructions and pay close attention to details.
Number of hours
6-8 per week, per student staff member.
At least one student assistant is scheduled nearly every hour we are open. Double-staffing begins at 3:30pm M-F and throughout evenings and weekends.
Starting WageAcademic year 20/21: $8.70 per hour
Apply online: @ jobs.oberlin.edu
Oberlin College Library actively seeks a diverse student staff.
OBERLIN COLLEGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER