Statement of Goals and Objectives for Oberlin College
Oberlin College, an independent coeducational institution, holds
a distinguished place among American colleges and universities. Oberlin
was the first college to grant undergraduate degrees to women and
historically was a leader in the educating of blacks; its heritage
is one of respect for the individual and active concern for the larger
society. The College uniquely combines an outstanding professional
school of music with a leading undergraduate college of arts and
sciences. The two divisions reinforce each other. The Conservatory
provides flexible programs to prepare students as professional musicians
and teachers of music. Deeply committed to academic excellence, the
College of Arts and Sciences offers a rich and balanced curriculum
in the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences. Within
that framework the College expects that students will work closely
with the faculty to design an educational program appropriate to
their own particular interests, needs, and long-term goals.
Oberlin seeks a diverse and promising student body. Recognizing that
diversity broadens perspectives, Oberlin is dedicated to recruiting
a culturally, economically, geographically, and racially diverse
group of students. Interaction with others of widely different backgrounds
and experiences fosters the effective, concerned participation in
the larger society so characteristic of Oberlin graduates. Oberlin
seeks students who are talented, highly motivated, personally mature,
and tolerant of divergent views. The Conservatory of Music in particular
seeks talented musicians with considerable potential for further
growth and development. Performance is central to all of the curricula
including music education, history, theory, composition, and technology.
Oberlin's faculty is dedicated to combining effective undergraduate
instruction with productive scholarship and artistry. Members of
the faculty are highly skilled and professional, well-grounded in
their chosen discipline; yet they characteristically have interests
that extend beyond their own specialization. The College seeks to
recognize and encourage teaching of unusually high caliber, and scholarly
and other creative activities are considered essential to continued
teaching excellence. Thus, active research, scholarship, artistry,
and/or performance is expected of each faculty member.
Oberlin College enjoys an exceptional physical plant including libraries,
art museum, computing center, scientific laboratories, physical education
facilities, concert halls, and practice rooms. Creating an environment
in which academic excellence can flourish, these attractive physical
resources are important to realizing the aims of the College.
For its students, the aims of Oberlin College are:
to equip them with skills of creative thought, technique, and critical
analysis which will enable them to use knowledge effectively;
to acquaint them with the growing scope and substance of human thought;
to provide for their intensive training in the discipline of a chosen
area of knowledge;
to ready them for advanced study and work beyond the college years;
to foster their understanding of the creative process and to develop
their appreciation of creative, original work;
to expand their social awareness, social responsibility, and capacity
for moral judgment so as to prepare them for intelligent and useful
response to the present and future demands of society;
to facilitate their social and emotional development;
to encourage their physical and mental well-being;
to cultivate in them the aspiration for continued intellectual growth
throughout their lives.
Adopted by the General Faculty November 15, 1977
Oberlin's Distinguished 171-Year History
The roots of Oberlin College reach back to 1833 when two young Yankee
missionaries arrived at a stump-dotted clearing in the forests of
The Rev. John J. Shipherd and Philo P. Stewart, inspired by Alsatian
pastor John Frederick Oberlin, resolved to found a college and colony
on the western frontier "where they would train teachers and
other Christian leaders for the boundless most desolate fields in
the West." They shortly gained the support of Charles Grandison
Finney, one of the 19th century's great revivalists. Finney's
reputation attracted students to the college and colony, ""bound
together by a solemn covenant which pledged them to the plainest
living and highest thinking," as well as financial support
for the College and the town of Oberlin.
In the spring of 1833, the first settler, Peter Pindar Pease, built
his log house at the center of Oberlin. That December, 29 men and
15 women students began classes in the Oberlin Collegiate Institute.
Two years later circulars describing Oberlin noted that "youths
are received as members, irrespective of color." As a result,
by the turn of the century one-third of all African American graduates
of predominantly white institutions in the United States had graduated
In 1837 four young women matriculated for the regular college course.
Three of the four graduated in 1841 and became the first women in
America to receive A.B. degrees.
In 1850, by an Act of the Ohio Legislature, the Oberlin Collegiate
Institute became Oberlin College. The change was in name only since
collegiate instruction had been offered from 1834 when the original
charter was granted.
The music division became part of the College in 1867, two years
after its founding as a private school. The Graduate School of Theology,
organized in 1835 as the theological division, was merged with the
Divinity School of Vanderbilt University in 1966.
Present-day Oberlin College reflects its early commitment to high
intellectual standards, liberal education, excellence in teaching
and social and moral commitment.
The town of Oberlin, Ohio (population 8,600) is 35 miles southwest
of Cleveland and is easily accessible by car, plane, bus or train.