About the Competition
The piano competition will take place from July 12-20, 2018. Participants will compete in four rounds in Warner Concert Hall at Oberlin Conservatory of Music.
The fourth, fifth, and sixth prizes of $1,500 each and the Audience Prize of $500 will be presented at the conclusion of the Recital Final Round in Oberlin on Wednesday, July 18.
The top three finalists will compete on Friday, July 20, for first, second, and third prizes in performance of complete concerti with The Cleveland Orchestra in Severance Hall in Cleveland, Ohio. The first prize of $20,000, the second prize of $10,000, and third prize of $5,000 will be awarded that evening.* The top three competitors also will be awarded full four-year scholarships to Oberlin Conservatory, pending admission.
A modest travel-assistance fund will be made available to participants on a case-by-case basis.
*The jury reserves the right to withhold an award; in the event of a tie, the prize money of the prize won and that of the next prize(s) in the ranking will be added up and distributed equally.
- All Cooper Competition rounds are open to the public.
- Admission is free to all rounds in the conservatory’s Warner Concert Hall.
- Tickets for the Concerto Finals with The Cleveland Orchestra at Severance Hall in Cleveland are available at clevelandorchestra.com or by calling (800) 686-1141.
WCLV Live Broadcast
- July 18, 7–10 p.m. Recital Finals at Oberlin Conservatory
- July 20, 7–10 p.m. Concerto Finals at Severance Hall
On the radio: 104.9 FM
Live stream: http://wclv.ideastream.org/programs/live-wclv
Oberlin Live Stream
All events held in Oberlin will be streamed live on our homepage from 9:30 a.m., Saturday, July 14 through 9 p.m., Thursday, July 19. See the complete schedule. Please note that the video may not start more than 5 minutes before the official event start time. All times are U.S. Eastern Time.
For the latest results from the competition, follow us on Facebook.