Stone House

42 North Park, 1867

This small, solid cottage is an Oberlin rarity, a house made of sandstone blocks. Despite access to nearby quarries in Amherst and Berea, and the sustained use of sandstone by the college in its late nineteenth-century architecture, stone never caught on as a domestic building material in the town. This place was built in 1867 by J.J. Hill for Uriel Hill, who ran it as a boarding house for bachelor tradesmen. The clover-leaf cutouts in the window shutters recall a later phase in its career, from 1942 to 1953, when local girl scouts used it for their rendezvous.

(Blodgett 102)

Click here to return to the main page of "Historic Preservation in Oberlin".