July 19 - December 23, 2017
Over the last 100 years, the original museum building designed by Cass Gilbert has changed in ways both subtle and substantial. This centennial exhibition presents three works—an architectural drawing by Gilbert, a watercolor by the late Oberlin alumnus and professor Paul Arnold, and an etching and aquatint by Claes Oldenburg—that alternately prefigure, document, and reimagine interior and exterior features of the Allen. Their renderings transform the building—an otherwise static, monumental repository—into an object as dynamic as the art contained within it.
The exhibition was organized by Andrea Gyorody, the Ellen Johnson '33 Assistant Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art.
Image: Architect Cass Gilbert's Study for Art Building and Cloister, Oberlin College, ca. 1915, charcoal, graphite, wash and gouache on tracing paper. Architect's presentation drawing for Oberlin College, 1983.114